Beginning October 1st the UMA will begin seeking nominations for volunteers to fill the fourteen Board of Directors positions for 2017. The UMA needs caring volunteers who are willing to serve on the UMA Board.
The purpose of this email is to outline how the elections will take place and to request nominations from interested members who are willing to volunteer on the Board of Directors.
General information about the Board:
The Board of Directors consists of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Historian (new position to be added to the charter) and up to nine Representatives-at-large who serve a one-year term. Members of the Board must be USPTO employees and full members of the Association in good standing at the time of their election and while serving on the Board. Prior military experience is not required. A “full member in good standing” is a UMA dues-paying current or former USPTO employee.
In accordance with the USPTO’s Voluntary Employee Organization Policy, members of the Board of Directors may be granted one hour of duty time per month to conduct/attend meetings of the organization’s governing body.
General overview on how the election will work:
- Any full member in good standing is eligible to vote and run for the Board.
- Any full member in good standing may self-nominate or nominate other candidates via email to UMA@USPTO.GOV from October 1-14, 2016.
- The Secretary, Melissa Wiley, will inform candidates that are not self-nominated that they have been nominated for a position. Each person accepting a nomination must respond with written consent (email is acceptable) to the Secretary. If the nominee desires to hold office, written consent must be sent to the Secretary by the third Thursday in October (10/20/16).
- The candidate must submit by email a personal statement –no more than 100 words — informing the membership why the nominee should be elected to the Board and identifying any experience the nominee may have. A personal picture is optional, but encouraged.
- The Secretary will compile a list of candidates that have accepted a nomination and distribute it to the membership. By the second Tuesday in November (11/8/16), the Secretary will send all members in good standing an electronic ballot. Votes are due NLT third Tuesday in November (11/15/16).
- Absentee or early voting is allowed either by proxy or in writing in coordination with the Secretary.
- The Secretary will tally the votes and submit the results to the Board members NLT December 6th. The Board will certify the results during the December Monthly Board Meeting on December 13th. The Board decides in case of a tie.
- The 2017 Board will be announced and sworn in at the final UMA Quarterly meeting on December 15th.
Timeline for elections
– October 1-14: Nominations accepted via email at UMA@USPTO.GOV.
– October 21: Candidates must notify the Secretary that they accept the nomination along with 100 word personal statement. Personal picture is optional, but encouraged.
– November 8-15: Voting window. Coordinate with the Secretary for absentee voting.
– December 6: Results submitted to the Board.
– December 13: Board certifies the results.
– December 15: 2017 Board is announced and sworn in.